Risks of Leaking and Burst Pipes
Even a small leak in your pipes can lead to substantial consequences. A faucet that drips just once a minute will equate to 34 gallons a year of wasted water. Imagine the damage from 34 gallons of water! Early and swift detection of leaking or burst pipes has dozens of ramifications that require immediate attention from a licensed professional.
Causes of Leaking or Burst Pipes
A leaky pipe is a small crack, rupture, or hole where some water escapes, but most of the water continues through the pipe. A burst pipe includes a wide opening where the water flows freely outside the piping system. Common causes for leaking or burst pipes include:
- High Water Pressure
- Shifting soil/tree roots
- Damaged Pipe Joints/bad installation
- Drilling holes in walls and accidentally hitting a pipe
Ready For a Quote?
Leave your information and we will be in touch
Long Term Consequence
- Water from the broken pipe can deteriorate the soil used as the foundation of your home. This can damage the structure and possibly make a home lean in one direction.
- Water around your house can cause the soil to expand, heaving your home upward and causing cracks in the walls.
- If wood features are exposed to water for long periods, this can rot the home’s structure.
- Insulation also absorbs water; its quality would be greatly diminished.
- Pests like rodents and termites are attracted to moist conditions, making a leaky home desirable for destructive pests.
- Leaks or burst pipes will damage appliances, drywall, carpet, and flooring. Over time, the constant water becomes an environment for mold, rust, and deterioration of nearly everything the water touches.
- The price to repair is astronomical. Mold remediation alone for a 1,000-square-foot home costs around $2,500.
Identifying a Leak and How to Respond
Some of the indicators of a leak or burst pipe include:
- Continuously damp areas on the floor, walls, or ceiling
- The water bill has gone up, but water habits are the same
- Sudden drop of pressure in water features
- Loud rattles when using water appliances such as sink and shower.
- Mold problems/unpleasant odors
One way to help prevent pipe problems is to have drains inspected regularly and cleaned by a professional. When corrosion, aging, or the environment has left pipes with little integrity, it may be time to have your home repiped. Hiring professionals like the team at RJ Plumbing Services can assess the extent of your pipe damage and assist in repairs. With leaks, the longer you wait, the more damage to your home and health. Leaking or burst pipes are worth the repair sooner rather than later.